Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 225
The Los Angeles Theatre. The movie palace, designed by S. Charles Lee, opened on Broadway in downtown L.A. on January 30, 1931, with the premiere of Charlie Chaplin’s City Lights.
Holy smokes. This photo’s more than four years old. Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 8, the Foy House, on the first of its four locations. It’s now on Carroll Avenue in Angelino Heights.
In a few years, the northwest corner of Figueroa and 7th streets will likely host the West Coast’s tallest building. In 1919, it was home to this two-story Victorian house.
Part of the Title Insurance and Trust, and C.C. Pierce Photography Collection in the USC Digital Library.
Have you visited Bolton Hall, Los Angeles Cultural Monument No. 2? This rocky building, designed by George Harris in Tujunga, is celebrating its centennial in 2013. It’s now a museum, with “Artifacts, photographs, documents and memorabilia of Sunland-Tujunga and the foothill area are displayed. They range historically from the Gabrieleno Indian village through the Mission and Mexican land grant periods to the development of Sunland-Tujunga and the rescue of Bolton Hall.”
Cannot wait to see. More.
Dutch Chocolate Shop open M-F 10-4 thru Xmas. See Batchelder’s tile palace while you can! on Flickr.
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 27
Read Christina Rice’s write-up on the Castle at On Bunker Hill.
“The Castle,” a Queen Anne-style house that dated from 1882, Bunker Hill, Los Angeles, 1960’s. Move to Heritage Square to be restored, it was burned to the ground by arsonists. From a series by George Mann.
See the Interior of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 117, the Beckett Residence
Head to Plan-It Locations, get a good look, and imagine what a stunner this 1905 West Adams mansion must’ve been back in the day. Of course, it’s still impressive, making the landmark’s current condition that much more heartrending. Thanks, Diana, for the link.
And with music from Robert Plant and Alison Krauss’s “Please Read the Lettter.”
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 906
An arch - part of the Fourth Street Viaduct over the Los Angeles River - under construction in 1930.
Part of the California Historical Society Collection in the USC Digital Library.
An interior shot of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 230, a 1908 Tudor Revival mansion designed by F.L. Roehrig for lumberman William E. Ramsay.
Big Orange Landmarks
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 70
USC history was made 132 years ago today with the laying of the cornerstone of the university’s first structure. That original building — once named Widney Hall and now known as the Widney Alumni House — still stands today on USC’s University Park Campus. In 1955, the building was designated California Historical Landmark No. 556. A plaque in front of the structure reads:
Dedicated on September 4, 1880, this original building of the University of Southern California has been in use continuously for educational purposes since its doors were first opened to students on October 6, 1880, by the university’s first president, Marion McKinley Bovard. The building was constructed on land donated by Ozro W. Childs, John G. Downey and Isaias W. Hellman under the guiding hand of Judge Robert M. Widney, the university’s leading founder.
This etching from the USC Digital Library’s Dick Whittington Collection shows the building as it appeared in the late 19th century.